Thursday, June 30, 2011

MCMC - The Internet Police Are Soo Cool!

Don't tell me you didn't know this? The Internet is Serious Business! Think of the consequences, millions of people reading your blog and being subverted by your subtle placing of words and images. You devil you! You are the reason the people are like this! Murderers and criminals are running amok in the streets because of you! 

The global economy is effected by you! Each post in your blog shifts the NASDAQ and KLCI by several points. The last tweet you sent just pushed the earth towards the sun by 1mm. Your last Facebook post canceled the effect, so we are safe for now. 

Who takes the internet seriously? Do you? 95% of information on the internet is false. Among the millions of Facebook posts, tweets, Blog posts, and emails, most are worthless information which only makes sense to your close friends who by the way number around 5 people. Those 500+ friends you have, you don't even know them and only added them because you thought you would be cooler with them as your friend. Sad, I know. And by the way, the "95% of information on the internet is false" fact is something I made up to prove my point. Clever, I know. 

MCMC seems to be really active nowadays, being the internet police and all. With their latest showcase of wisdom and understanding of net culture shown here. Did someone appoint the MCMC as the internet police? I fail to understand the reasoning behind MCMC releasing such a statement. 

“Don't assume there's no law in the cyber world. A lot of people don't think about that but we would like to remind the people to behave responsibly when using the Internet or any other technology of the new media,” ~ MCMC Chief Strategy Officer Datuk Mohamed Sharil Mohamed Tarmizi
Reading the whole statement will tell you that it is basically about the Bersih 2.0 rally. The Bersih 2.0 rally is not a misuse of technology. It is a natural progression of any community driven cause to extend its reach via online. How is this an illegal activity? 

If I were to start a drive to save the squirrels that are losing their habitata due to deforestation, would I be a victim since logging companies may not like what I have to say about them. Unless I am in front of their office throwing peanuts at them, no one should really force me to stop my campaign. I believe it is right. I believe that the world should know about the plight of the squirrels. So with my limited resources, I take my fight online. Is anyone really forced to participate or even view my campaign? Unlike a public rally which does disrupt business and the lives of other people, online campaigning is the most benign way to campaign. 

Asking Bersih 2.0 to register their rally is a correct step. Whether it gets approved or not is a different story. The best way to change something is by working within its boundaries and slowly pushing the walls away. Breaking walls usually makes the whole building fall down on you. But limiting the freedom to express opinions online is NOT a correct step.  

Also, when did threatening someone online ever work? The possibility of any campaign being corrupted into an unrecognizable joke of it's original self is limitless online, why even bother doing anything? The people will do it for you!



 

No comments:

Post a Comment